Monday, February 28

Self Identity

World English Dictionary
mother 1
— n
1.a. a female who has given birth to offspring
b. ( as modifier ): a mother bird


I suppose that answers that. Technically, I do fit as a mother. 


World English Dictionary
mom  (mɒm) 
— n
chiefly  ( US ), ( Canadian an informal word for mother

I am also a mom, as defined, then.

Hm. Somehow this helps on the journey to forgive myself. 

Birthmom/Birthmother/Birthdad/Birthfather are not included in the dictionary. Does this, then, mean they dont exist? Seems I do exist. I am working on a definition of each, and then going to try and have them added to the dictionary.

How would you define any of these terms? I know that I am looking at this from a voluntary placement view, but would a woman/man who 'loses' a child to social services (involuntary) also be included in this group? How about a man that fathers a child biologically but does not take part in the childs life?

It makes me sad to realize these words are not going to just be associated with positive things. This is what I have so far:

One who biologically parents a child that is then (voluntarily or not) placed with another person/family whom is intending to raise the child.

Yes? No? How do I get something added to the dictionary?

With Love Always
Me

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately or fortunately, it seems that those who biologically contribute to a child are considered mothers and fathers whether they parent or not. Fortunately for those of us that are involved or want to be involved in the lives of our children. Unfortunately for those that get that title even if they shouldn't even see their children, much less parent. And unfortunately for those that didn't want anything to do with their children too. I think those types of people shouldn't get to be honored to have "mother," "father," or any other variation as even part of their title, but maybe that's just me. I have no idea how to get something added to a dictionary. Maybe there's some info online somewhere. Urban dictionary is easy enough. Webster's or some other variation is a lot harder, I think.

    ReplyDelete